Now that’s really an Infinity display – not Infinity-O, not Infinity-U, not Infinity-something-else.
The Samsung Galaxy A80 has an all-screen face made possible by a nifty camera mechanism that pops up and rotates so the same cameras serve double duty, front and back. This sort of thing has been done before, but not quite this way.
It doesn’t end there – in addition to the two conventional cameras, one regular wide, one ultra wide, the Galaxy A80 boasts a time-of-flight module for depth mapping.
Read More: Realme 3 Pro & C2 Launched in Pakistan
So not only should you get selfies with the quality of photos taken on a main camera, you’d also have some advanced depth detection.
Add to that Live Focus videos, not just photos, and we can see the A80’s potential with a certain demographic.
Pretty much everyone is likely to enjoy the large 6.7-inch SuperAMOLED display – it’s got FullHD+ resolution in an even taller than usual 20:9 aspect (watch out, Xperias), offering a ton of screen area.
The Snapdragon 730 also looks promising – Qualcomm’s latest that’s just below the 800-series has power to spare and should be pretty efficient too.
Let’s hope it is, in fact, because the battery inside the A80 isn’t huge – capacity fell victim to having to fit the moving bits and at 3,700mAh it’s less than what even some smaller-screened phones have.
Good thing there’s 25WUSB Power Delivery support, though it’s not really the same as a big power pack.
We understand how Samsung couldn’t have gone bigger, though – the A80 is already quite hefty at 220g.
However, space was obviously at a premium as essentials have been scrapped – there’s no headphone jack, and there’s no microSD slot either. Boo.
Have a look at what’s there and what isn’t on the Galaxy A80.
Samsung Galaxy A80 specs
- Body: 165.2×76.5×9.3mm, 220g; Gorilla Glass 6 back, aluminum frame; Angel Gold, Ghost White, Phantom Black color schemes.
- Screen: 6.7″ Super AMOLED, 1080x2400px resolution, 393 ppi, Gorilla Glass 3.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 730 chipset: octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Kryo 470 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 470 Silver); Adreno 618 GPU.
- Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB built-in storage; no microSD slot.
- OS: Android 9 Pie; Samsung One UI.
- Camera: Motorized pop-up camera assembly. Main module: 48MP, 1/2.0″ SONY IMX586 Quad Bayer sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 80-degree FOV (26mm equiv. focal length), laser/PDAF. Ultra wide module: 8MP, f/2.2 aperture, 123-degree FOV (11mm equiv. focal length), fixed focus. Time-of-flight 3D Depth camera. LED flash.
- Battery: 3,700mAh; 25W fast charging.
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE Cat.11 (600Mbps/75Mbps), Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, GPS; Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, USB-C 2.0.
- Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader, down-firing loudspeaker, no3.5mm audio jack.